• Day 125: Friday May 4th



16:00 I am knackered! I did end up going to Malpais (Santa Teresa) but I went snorkelling first too.

At 06:45 I made a load of coffee, had a cup and then jumped into my wetsuit to make low tide. I got out just past the inshore data logger when I saw at least 10 Azure Parrotfish in shallow water coming in close proximity to me (possibly as I wasn't using noisy fins at this time), but of course I did not have my camera with me at this time. I didn't see anything else that blew me away though the visibility at this hour was impressively high. I soon noticed I wasn't going to get long in the water due to a short low tide and so, after having problems with the most exposed data logger furthest out, I returned while great big waves (10ft +) that entered the lagoon just on the other side of a rocky outcrop carried me hastily inland.

After a fast sausage and egg breakfast I headed to Malpais to get food. After an internet session I grabbed a few simple luxuries then unintentionally ripped off a cashier I think as I said relayed the message given to me by the guy that bags up your fruit and vegetables saying the first price sticker was "para todo" or for all, when really afterwards I don't think that bagger guy had priced it that way even though he said he did.  So I may have got a free pineapple, onions and maybe more? Then I only had 2,000 Colones and not 4,000 to pay the cab driver, and he didn't have change for 10,000, so he let me off until next time…

ML's sandals had rubbed my feet raw so I decided that Merrell branded ones totally trump these American Chaco ones. I saw more butterflies near Malpais and the entrance and when I returned to the lodge I sat for a much needed drink whilst I learned a game called the "one, two, three square game" in Spanish.  I then had a late lunch, took a much needed shower and rested before I spoke to mum who didn't recognise me when I answered the phone in Spanish ("San Miguel, buenos!"). During the phone call there was a very cute rat I discovered living in the phone room behind bookcases and probably inside an old computer here also, and some other animals also decided to join in my phone conversation - namely flying in and interrupting us. 
 
Green Jumping Spider (D.Philpot)


Cute Rat - Guardian Of Playing Cards (D.Philpot)

A Large Beetle (D.Philpot)

Green Moth - Top (D.Philpot)

Green Moth - Front (D.Philpot)

This evening I had an amazing 'egg soup' for dinner and watched some more lightening from the beach again.