• Day 028: Saturday January 28th



18:45 Snorkelling returned seemingly minimal fish for the survey species list, or at least fewer schools of fish.  However my group saw a Zebra Moray Eel which was very cool.  These morays are one of my favourite marine species, ever since I saw them in books and saw them Scuba Diving in Spain.  I love how they sit there with their large eyes and nostils, when they constantly moving their mouth open and closed.   
Zebra Moray Eel, What A Cutie! (D.Philpot)

So seeing this somewhat rarer species here was certainly a special moment, and afterwards we also saw the more common Palenose Moray along with an Octopus in the lagoon.

21:00 I learnt some common woody tree species identification and upon returning from a hike from Playa Balsitas DL pointed out trees and got me to identify them which was both fun and stimulating.  At lunch there was a Pauraque (Possibly the Common) bird flying around the kitchen but upon me whipping my camera out it had found its way out through the hatch.
Waving Stick-Insect (D.Philpot)

Green Stick-Insect (D.Philpot)
Later in the evening we had a fantastic local geology lecture on how Costa Rica formed, how animals migrated between North & South America, and how the land-bridge between disappeared forming itself twice.  Then we relaxed while planning the next few days to keep up with the schedule for this group.