• Day 027: Friday January 27th


15:10 Practised some macro photography snorkelling today, with some great shots of Hancocks Tube Blennies with their googly-eyed comical look which make great subjects.  I also had time to practice more Spanish as well, have most of the kitchen and useful words down.
Pink Algae (D.Philpot)

Green Halimeda Algae (D.Philpot)

Spines Of An Urchin (D.Philpot)

Mexican Dancer In The Sun (D.Philpot)

A Sea-Slug "Rearing" - So Cute (D.Philpot)

Grumpy Blenny (D.Philpot)

Googly Blenny (D.Philpot)
Some Blenny (D.Philpot)

Clam (D.Philpot)

Blenny (D.Philpot)

A Blenny Shot, Nice Colours (D.Philpot)
Mexican Dancer Front (D.Philpot)

Some Small Shrimp (D.Philpot)

Another Blenny (D.Philpot)
The next group (Hartwick College) is soon to arrive along with DL once again.  I have just had a great steak lunch with the park guards, which was amazing.

Some time for reflection.  Costa Rica still feels somewhat like a dream, but when it clears my head spends all its time thinking how lucky I am to be in this position.  Just today it came to me how great it is to live so closely to groups of animals without any human intervention, knowing where they will be, where they go and watching what they get up to.  I seem to have figured out quite a few of the diurnal migrations of some species, or at least for this time so I look forward to see how they develop or change with the switch in season.  Perhaps I will find the home of an Ocelot sometime… hopefully from some distance.
Nosy Armadillo (D.Philpot)

Armadillos Bum Close-Up (D.Philpot)
22:45 Went tidepooling in two subgroups with Hartwick, and in my group at least we saw 9 Octopus in fairly close succession.  There was one individual in particular that I should make note of here:

Interesting Interaction #1

I was with one faculty member (professor) and 4 or 5 students when one of the students said they could see a “good Octopus,” rather than a couple of tentacles protruding from beneath a rock.  I went over and the student had encouraged it from a rock so it came out into the open.  I told the students to switch off their flashlights (torches) so we only had one light on it, not seven or so and we watched as it walked along the sand.  This was great alone but we saw as it moved to a rock and then disappeared and someone made the joke that it was now a “rocktopus.” I pointed out an obvious hole that was the other side of the tidepool with only sand between the rock and this hole, then I said “I think he wants to get into there.”

So there we stood, amazed as it was when the Octopus started to reposition itself on the rock as if it was about to move so we fell silent expecting it to shoot across to the hole.  Instead however, it casually moved down onto the sand and I distinctly said (and I do not remember why) “and now it’s a Hermit Crab.”

Still silent, we watched in amazement as the body of this Octopus looked more and more like a shell, it changed to a purple colour, was distinctly conical and the texture of its skin changed so it looked convincingly like a shell.  The faculty member said “it actually does look like a Hermit Crab” and then, amazingly, it brought in its legs underneath its body (now ‘shell’) and then flicked the tips out from beneath as if they were legs.  Finally, to complete the show it moved sidewards, like a Crab, not in a constant movement but staggered as a Crab just and then slipped into the whole at which point we let out a unanimous “wow.”  I mean, maybe it was nothing but I have heard about so-called mimicry in these amazing animals but never of a Crab/Hermit Crab and I especially never thought I would ever see it for real and will certainly be a defining moment of my time here.  Incredible.

It turned out too that the other group also saw 9 Octopus, or individual sightings, and that total of 18 was a new highest for the park which is lovely and refreshing to hear.
Spot The Octopus (D.Philpot)
I walked up to sleep outside on the deck of the dorm house with the students to comfort them in this ‘unfamiliar environment,’ but upon arriving they had all their lights pointing up into the trees.  What they had lit up was an anteater on a vertical tree feeding on ants presumably, but everyone had their eyes on the cutest little baby Anteater on this mothers back though unfortunately no-one could get a decent photo with all this poor lighting and the fact she was quite high up.

In the early hours I was out walking on the reef by myself tidepooling where I spotted an interesting Crab that was extremely flattened against the surface of a rock, I will spare you a photo, especially as right now I am unable to locate a good source of Crab literature for the area - and I am told one simple doesn't exist! 
A Very Flat Crab, Snails Top Right Are 1cm Thick (D.Philpot)