• Day 025: Wednesday January 25th

In the early hours last night I managed to catch my first photos of one of the illusive Racoons, I left a deliberate trail of biscuit crumbs which he followed, and I didn't mean to flash this one but fairly glad I did...

Busted! Ninja Racoon (D.Philpot)
13:25 Well… my first senorita girl has now left, it wasn’t romance but she is a great girl that I clicked with who taught me a fair bit of Spanish.  Sure enough as they left 4 Coatis greeted the German guy and myself.  Though I am certain that these are just the scouts or spies and that there are more animals to come.

As I sit here I cannot help but thinking what I will see next, I feel like I am on the verge of a new sighting, and the amount of animals we all must walk but don’t see (but they see us) must be sky high.  This led me to think of how incredible it would be to spend life as a park guard, at the moment though it feels like somewhat of a dream as it seems that it is rare for someone with a passion for something to be thrown a bone by someone higher up.

00:10 Well the nature has most certainly returned now.  The German and I just returned from a couple of hours in the lab to find watermelon all over the floor by the spare fridge that is currently being used instead.  The arm-sized gap, pulling the fridge door open, that was left once the rope was tied to the fridge door was previously not noticed for this past week with the family here and now it is just the two of us, they have discovered it.  2 and a bit melons were scraped out by a Racoon, or a few, the bare remains only made me think two things.  Firstly thank god my knot was good enough not to give the clever ninjas a fridge full of treats, and secondly how the German guy had not long said “we have a problem, we have too many watermelons,” at once 6 and now 3.  I hope the fridge inside is repaired soon.  Upon seeing the sticky watermelon Racoon-shaped prints on the wooden floor I joked to the German guy that if we see a pink Racoon about we will know who done it. I think this was the ninjas revenge for 'catching' them.

An alarm has now been added to the fridge, in the form of a bottle on top of a tub :-)

During the night I had to get up a couple of times as a couple of Racoons returned.  I then saw an Anteater walking about and the German guy woke up pretty ill so I looked after him as well.  This could quite possibly be the result of snorkelling in a ‘murky’ lagoon that was surrounded by 300+ Brown Pelicans sat on every rock surface available.  The lagoon stank, but I couldn’t help noticing how interesting it was that all these birds had come to this spot exactly the same day as the lowest low tide that I have known here so far and that I can see in the near future, coincidence?