• Day 023: Monday January 23rd


16:10 The German guy has returned, so it was great to catch up with him this morning.  He spoke of his experiences in the other side of the park.  I am jealous that he got to see a sloth and the superman zipline he got to do in Monte Verde sounds fun so I’ve added that to my list of things I would like to do.  If it is possible I want to go to the Osa Peninsula with him, which is supposed to be the most beautiful place in Costa Rica though I fear that means it is most vulnerable to being destroyed by tourists out to have a good time and, for the most part, don’t actually care for the nature, only that they get a photo of something and check it from their list.

Actually we have just got back from the upper stream trail, where I found another better ‘Tarzan Vine’ that is worth mentioning and was all fun and games until one of the Costa Rican family members face-planted a rock below it.  Luckily he was ok, we decided to call it a day and I would be more cautious with people knowing or having a go on it in the future.

Had some more green tea today, I forgot to mention that this is not a hot drink but made quite strong and then frozen and drank cold, and it is safe to say I am pretty addicted.  We cooked up fresh fish, which is always great so long as it was caught sustainably, as normally I do not eat fish.  They tried teaching me some more Spanish but I was so tired and already studying from books so as a visual learner I preferenced that over making up some Spanish chit-chat, which I try not to do in English.

23:35 Tonight we had hotdogs by a fire (with ketchup, oh yes, such a rarity) and a Spotted Skunk was spotted walking through the mangrove trees.  I tried to get a photo, failed so above all I enjoyed this unique moment.   I leant one of the daughters some films, whilst we had a quick game of Angry Birds in Spanish which was slightly interesting.

One thing that has really sunk in now is how much I would love to return to Costa Rica, at least for work, if not to even possibly live here – Pura Vida!