• Day 011: Wednesday January 11th



09:00 I still find it hard to believe the efficiency of how Coatis can climb trees.  I think I know, or at least I am narrowing down the direction where this large family comes from, which would be cool to find out or to set up a camera.
Looking Down On Me (D.Philpot)

Cute Coati (D.Philpot)

An Anole (D.Philpot)
10:50 In the past hour I have ‘dealt with’ a group of artisanal hand-fishers, a boat tour group visiting the methane vents (who swam when they aren’t supposed to, and shouldn't appeal to anyone anyway), and a fairly difficult group of tourists.  Life as a park guard can be tough, I just want to go snorkelling and carry on the fish surveys.

23:10 I saw 2 or 3 sea hares snorkelling today, despite them “not being found in the lagoon,” so that was nice and different.  
A Colourful Juvenile (D.Philpot)

Mexican Dancer Colours (D.Philpot)

Hello Mr Butterflyfish (D.Philpot)

Mojarra Grunt School (D.Philpot)

Sergeant Majors (D.Philpot)

After snorkelling there were more tourists but they were nice and more respectful of the reserves purpose.  The German volunteer explored the local town of Malpais whilst I got really close to a Coati whilst lying in a hammock.   
A Curious Coati (D.Philpot)
The cute little guy wandered about consuming fruit lying about on the ground and once his twitching nose caught a whiff of some soda cracker pieces that I had dropped by the hammock he inched his way over to them and took them with his paws. See how close he got here with Video 19.  This time alone also allowed me to explore lots, sort through some photos and update the latest fish ID and survey list. 
A Magpie Jay (D.Philpot)

Coati On The Bins (D.Philpot)
This evening we made some superb fried chicken dinner that had some random things thrown in with it but it was amazing and well worth the note.  I managed to found my money wallet so feel temporarily rich, the red pen that I had been looking for, for ages! And DL told me over the phone that I had made good decisions in dealing with the awkward tourists that didn’t want to leave wanting 10 minutes more for some photos. I also found a spindly white Spider that folded all of its legs together to look like a stick when blown very lightly...
After - Stick! (D.Philpot)
Before - Spider (D.Philpot)