• Day 005: Thursday January 5th


13:12 Collected bags of gastropod snails in time ‘quadrats’ then sorted them out into species or at least similar looking individuals to start. DL checked everyone’s sample with high expertise and I assisted her where possible whilst going through my own sample, some of which I knew, others were new to me.  We then had some extra time so I was shown that we can even ID them down to family level atleast blind, so she went ahead and asked me to give her any complete shell so long as it was not a fragment and low and behold she got each and every one right.   

We then took a walk up the upper Quebrada San Miguel stream bed which is a beautiful place that needs describing.  The trail appears out of nowhere when it is first pointed out and immediately begins with a steep climb upwards for a good couple of hundred metres before reaching a flattened area.  At this point it dips down and you lose the sound of the ocean behind you and after a little bit more, as long as everyone is quite, you can hear the stream flowing from afar.  Upon reaching the stream I noticed its wide birth and it was explained to me that with heavy rains in some years a large head of water can carve out this stream bed, this was evident from the couple of gigantic trees with most of their roots exposed.  
Upper Stream Bed (D.Philpot)
I heard there were crayfish about but did not see any today, but once we reached the top I got to see a wonderful waterfall that ends the trail and so spent some time swimming with the students whilst keeping an eye on the high tree canopy above this oasis...
My Private Swimming Pool (D.Philpot)

On the way back down DL asked me to lead the way back down, which was different but very cool and I enjoyed it.  

After making it back with all the students I relaxed in a hammock where I got my first few photographs of a Variegated Squirrel and some White-Faced Capuchin Monkeys, so very sweet to watch:

View From The Hammock - The "Yard" To Sea (D.Philpot)

Canopy Flare (D.Philpot)

Variegated Squirrel (D.Philpot)

First (Lazy) Capuchin (D.Philpot)
17:45 Oh my god! Anteater!!! The one creature I wanted to see the most and I have not long got to spend some time with one.  Such a docile animal, a group of us were sitting on the beach with DL watching the beautiful sunset when someone said “Hey, what’s that?” and sure enough it was a vested anteater or tamandua, its more local name.  
View Forward, My First Of Many Sunsets (D.Philpot)
View Behind, My First Anteater (D.Philpot)

It walked up to a coconut palm tree, climbed it pretty slowly and almost vertically up to the coconuts where it fed on ants, presumably.  I watched it for about 10 minutes, the students headed for dinner at 18:00 but I stayed and as also presumed it came back down so I got some very good photos.  I was only shy off 2 metres away, but the individual was only curious about what had snuck up on him so crept a little closer so there I stood with a silly grin on my face until it slowly wandered off through some Bromeliads that line the beach.

Elias was invited in as a special guest lecturer giving a great talk on the past of the area including family history which brought to light the lack of medical facilities they had as he spoke of his father passing away when he was only 4.

22:00 Later in the evening around 20:00 we got a bonfire going, roasted some marshmallows and I was introduced to American “s’mores” where you put them between cookies (biscuits).  Two racoons also passed through the area an hour or so ago, they came up the path and searched close to the kitchen trying to salvage some food.