January Month Summary


So what can I say about my first month in this incredible place, nothing bad of course and the most perfect start.  Only the first month down and this place already feels like home, I knew before but this certainly concretes the fact that I would happily do this sort of work for the rest of my life.  Already I have learnt so much and seen/observed so many exciting and incredibly interesting things, and so it is near enough impossible for me to put into words my choice of highlights but here are a few:
  • Landing in Costa Rica where I instantly felt welcomed and that the heart of Costa Rica is truly cantered on the nature, rather than some political figure that attracts tourists and money but to most people seems to little else.  And saying that the atmosphere that comes with having such a happy centre to the country in that the atmosphere provided by the people and their beliefs is astonishing – Pura Vida!
  • Simply meeting and engaging with the people of local communities is a sheer joy and there is no feeling like it.
  • Working with each of the selected student groups that pass through, making new friends and professional connections in a vast array of interesting areas.
  • Seeing that first Howler Monkey very shortly after I had arrived, and being so close to a creature that closely related to us.
  • Seeing a wild and happy Coati up in a tree for the first time, where I’d only ever seen these animals in a zoo before and I loved them then even – despite the enclosed part, and I never knew how easily they loved climbing trees which was surreal.
  • Seeing, and knocking of a Vested Anteater (Tamandua) off my bucket list so soon after arriving.  This was the animal I stated when friends asked me “What are you most hoping to see?”
  • The San Miguel station’s friendly staff, their hospitality, fun, and especially their COOKING!
  • Spotting new species, watching new behaviour, interactions, relationships and learning their distribution. E.g. The Octopus that very clearly mimicked a Hermit Crab, a Clingfish way out in the lagoon against the Pacific Ocean instead of its normal place among the tidepool areas – never observed before in the park.
  • Swinging on a Tarzan Vine, chilling out at the waterfalls in the pools
  • Observing a wild cat, the Jaguarundi, simply cannot express how awesome it was…
  • Bird- and Whale-watching, and adding to my ever growing species list.
Now that is just some of the highlights from my first month out here.  DL said she wants me to get the most out of my time, I’m thinking I might end up needing more than one of these journals as I will certainly be coming back to this place at somepoint.