• Day 055: Friday February 24th


21:00 Today I had a much needed lie-in, plus the Hotel Cacts beds I mean… wow! I could lose days from just laying here. And making the most of the nice hot showers too.

I decided to stay an extra night to get sorted, relax and to meet up with that Costa Rican girl from that family? The nice girl, my first senorita?

Just had some more Chicken Cup-a-soup from England and actually, since Corcovado, I have really taken a liking to such soups and these “Raman” instant noodle things which is surprising for me and this cheap food I normally don’t like at all.

Today is a great opportunity to just relax, contemplate everything, make plans and give time for the amazement that was Corcovado to sink in.  I still think it is bad that the park is hyped up using posters that illustrate big cats though, but when you arrive the signs say “stick to the trails” and “No walking on trails at night.” Now if you take into consideration that cats are nocturnal, what are your chances of seeing one during the day walk up to you on the trail – none! This kind of advertisement should be cut down or at least managed because I came across hundreds of disappointed American tourists that were walking out of the park expecting many great big cat sightings.
Sorting Out My Mail (D.Philpot)
As I lay here on the roof garden of Hotel Cacts, in the sun among Hummingbirds, I am thinking now of how lucky I really am to be in this place.  I thought of my time so far, what’s (could be) happening next and the truly incredible experience I have yielded so far from this once random “dream” that is my Costa Rican experience.

The evening has basically consisted of watching crazy Costa Rican TV and learning a little bit of Spanish from dubbed English movies.  I am also just so very glad to have got rid of the tent.