• Day 054: Thursday February 23rd



22:15 Breakfast in the Panaderia (bakery) was very nice, all the other shops I wanted to look in turned out to be closed today for some reason.

We hung out until around 7:20 where we took our return flight from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose when I thought if the German guy is this sad to be leaving Costa Rica soon, what I am going to be like if/when I leave in August time. As we moved into position on the runway a group of about four stray dogs casually strolled along the runway, which was quite funny especially considering UK airports would have melted down with animals on flight paths. On this flight this time was just 4 of us in total and from sitting behind the pilot I pretty much learnt how to fly the plane, or at least starting up and putting it into autopilot.  Upon taking a break from studying the controls/screens I actually saw my first whale from a plane, I looked out my window and saw this moving grey box and so yeah… it actually wasn’t as exciting as I thought it would be, just need to see a breach or tail fluke now.
View During Take-Off (D.Philpot)

In San Jose I gave my goodbyes to the German guy until the future should our paths happen to cross again in Germany or elsewhere.  I forgot to take my machete from him as I soon disappeared in a keen taxi and upon reaching the hotel I realised this as I had discovered I had more ticks still on my person… eww!

In the afternoon I went shopping, got myself a pair of cheap shoes, and a few other unimportant bits. After taking a few hours in the form of a relaxing hotel break I actually managed to shave using a razor for my first time – a minor achievement.

Then I met up with the L’s (DL and ML) in for dinner at a really great Chinese place (Dun Son?) which gave us time to have a catch-up. We got a taxi back through the dodgy (red light / trans area) and heard a funny story of ML confronting some of the lovely ‘ladies.’  Once we got back I got rid of the tent (*victory dance interlude*) and got some more parcels from home which was a nice surprise, full of some very useful / thoughtful items.  This also made me realise; I’m really not sure where this interesting path is taking me, do I need to worry about getting all my stuff back to England in August, if at all?