• Day 051: Monday February 20th


11:15 We made it! We braved the American Crocodiles / Cayman and battled the Bull Sharks… no, the so-called “river” was more of a wide stream and the 7 hour walk was actually no problem at all, could have done that in around 5 hours I feel if we really went for it.
The Big Scary River (D.Philpot)
On a scale of 1-10: 6 before and 4 after in terms of difficulty! So many tourists are here too, we overtook a group of chubby and cheesy Americans who left the ranger station at around 4am, where as we got up at 03:50am but didn’t leave until 05:15am.
Cicular Fungi (D.Philpot)
On the way we saw a couple of close Coatis, some more Scarlet (Red) Macaws (Seen here on Video 84), a huge boat engine and the usual suspects in terms of animals but not scenery. 
A Shipwrecked Boat Engine (D.Philpot)
The 20 Ft Engine Wreck (D.Philpot)

Our First & Only Snack Break (D.Philpot)

I got my second decent macaw photo which I was somewhat pleased with seeming they never sit still long enough for a photo.  Nothing else to report about the 7 hour mission apart from it was a long walk but felt easier than that hike I did also with the German guy at the end of January to Cabuya, that trail is nasty.
The Airstrip (D.Philpot)

Made It! (D.Philpot)

Welcome To Isla Sona (D.Philpot)

Feels Like Jurassic Park Or Lost (D.Philpot)
Right before the station I heard some purring cat calls maybe 10 or 20 metres away, there was nothing else it could have been but there is no way for me to identify what it was though I am fairly certain it was not a big cat like the illusive Jaguar.

Sirena station felt like Isla Sona from Jurassic Park initially, except there is a public telephone (for 199 and local calls only), showers, water, electricity and giant foam pieces to put on the wood for your tent to go on, very odd as I would have much preferred to be outside in the massive expanse of grass – “no tent space left,” well that was a lie told over the phone.  I found another yellow and black, ‘crowned’ or horned spider (yellower than the individual I found within San Miguel)
Camp? What... (D.Philpot)

Trail Map (D.Philpot)

More Skulls (D.Philpot)

Animal Footprints - A Cat, Tapir, Monkey & Wild Pig (D.Philpot)

Dwarfed By Massive Osa Peninsula Trees (D.Philpot)
Velociraptors Anyone? (D.Philpot)
Egret Bird On The Airstrip (D.Philpot)

16:20 Just returned from a walk to the “river” and then the German guy rested ready for sunset and some Bull Shark sightings perhaps? We saw nothing at Rio Claro so ended up following a trail close by and a latched on to a tour guide (not ours – I believe this is not the way to explore and see nature) who pointed out a huge Wild Tapir!
Shy Resting Tapir (D.Philpot)
Walking further along there was a great view from a river bed of steep cliffs and dodgy looking trees on both sides and upon returning from that area I spotted a Spectacled Cayman which was a real joy to watch at high-tide, it was maybe ~20 metres away. I then saw the most beautiful luminous green butterfly ever.
A Day-flying (Diurnal) Moth (D.Philpot)

Famous Backpack Katydid (D.Philpot)

Then we returned to base via the beach where I found a Peccary footprint fossil before we walked down the airstrip.  The grass either side of us here reminded me of that scene from Jurassic Park with the velociraptors, which led me then to wonder of how often a Puma/Jaguar is sitting in the grass watching people walk past.  

I then filmed a small passenger plane as it landed and then took off, I think the pilot deliberately got extremely close to my head… I could literally have touched the wheel, check out the Video (#82).
Sunset Through Grass (D.Philpot)
The Shot Before (D.Philpot)

Germans Last Sunset (D.Philpot)

Sunset (D.Philpot)

The Biggest Hermit I've Seen So Far (D.Philpot)
We relaxed with the sunset, watching hundreds of hermit crabs scurry about like a busy city and I picked out a huge Hermit Crab inside of a Grinning Tun Shell.