• Day 048: Friday February 17th - "Corcovado Trip"


20:10 Another early start this morning (04:30), even harder because of those damn comfy beds.  We first took a taxi to NatureAir airport (wrong place), so we got another taxi who knew what he was doing and rushed us to Sansa Regional.  Here we had to pass through a barrier into a tiny car park of a private looking airport that had only about 12 people in the vicinity.  It did feel odd to me to be leaving San Miguel though I was about to fulfil a small dream of mine which was flying somewhere in a small passenger plane.
Cue Jurassic Park Music (D.Philpot) 
Sure enough, the 4 foot of floor to roof space in the cabin and the grand total of 8 passengers on this luxury plane made me feel very happy indeed… taking off without safety announcements is the way forward – if we crash, were doomed! Whilst in flight I played the theme to the Jurassic Park movie as well as the classic Welcome To The Jungle song over and over in my head whilst flying over Manual Antonio park and some awesome geological features not so far below.
The View Out My Window (D.Philpot)

Basically... If We Crash, Your Screwed! (D.Philpot)
My Head (Right) And The Pilot (D.Philpot)
The take-off to Corcovado can be seen on this video.

Landing was a lot different, perfect but greeted by a large cemetery right next to the runway which made a nice welcome and the Germans new backpack he was so happy about had broken already.  
Another Plane Landing (D.Philpot)

What We Were Greeted By Airfield Side (D.Philpot)

A Long & Complicated Baggage Collection - Just Grab It (D.Philpot)
We walked about and with some luck bumped into another German (not too surprising though due to their abundance in this country) who was extremely friendly and ended up giving us a tour around the town of Puerto Jimenez in her car.  I expected nothing as usual but was pleasantly surprised that this was a full bustling town which you could actually easily live comfortably in. We got some money, ate, found and paid for a “bus” to the “town” of Carate, got a good room for only $8 and saw some Scarlet Macaws!
A Very Social Flycatcher (D.Philpot)
Corcovado Artwork, Unknown Artist (D.Philpot)
The "Town" Of Carate Guide (D.Philpot)

In the afternoon we went kayaking, which was also cheap, through the system of mangroves here where we saw some birds and then we decided to head “out to sea to look for dolphins” – not the best of choices.  At this point I realised the water quantity in my kayak was a problem and, upon swiftly retreating towards shore, capsized in my kayak though through some more swift movements I saved my camera by rolling the kayak, pulling it from my pocket and holding it clear in the air.

After towing it to the nearest beach, maybe 200 or 300 metres away I found some rope in the drift line on the beach, emptied a seemingly endless supply of water from the kayak and then made some repairs.  However, upon returning to the ocean I discovered I hadn’t really fixed the problem and almost sunk again, plus the tide was going down and so we called it a night.  
Fixing My Kayak... (D.Philpot)
Kayaking Among Mangroves In Puerto Jimenez (D.Philpot)
 We found the Puerto Jimenez equivalent to B&Q (a large hardware store) and finally got us a couple of sharpened machetes.  Then dinner was made in our lovely host families kitchen, she told us a story (and showed us) some pure gold that was, and can be found, in the park which was very cool.  I hoped to find my own piece and maybe have it shaped into the shape of Costa Rica. 

Just about to head to bed now, yes at 20:30, though I just found a golden beetle in our room which looked surreal.  I am thinking now of all the birds we have already seen all over this place and know that we are only likely to be seeing a lot more :-)