• Day 047: Thursday February 16th


05:15 Early start to meet Elias for a ride to the bus for San Jose, to catch a small plane for the Osa Peninsula!!! This early start was pretty difficult but I knew it was to be the first of many on this adventure, meanwhile the volunteers were sound asleep.

10:00 The photographer and I are now on the road, Elias was a great help as always and I soon learnt what the Spanish “Pagi” means when I said I didn’t understand… pay me.  In Puntarenas I had 2 burgers with chips (fries) whilst being watched by some inquisitive yet charismatic comical birds, Grackles, before then buying a deliciously tempting ice cream on the bus to complete my healthy breakfast.  On the ferry I had a couple of cocktails too, then finished up some interview/promotional work with the photographer.  This guy spent most his time during the bus journeys hanging out of the window snapping many photos including of sign posts when he wasn’t sure where we exactly were.  Here is a little more of his work:
Resident Tarzan (S.Hight)

An Eerie Huntsman (S.Hight)

Beedy Eyes (S.Hight)

Menacing Arachnid (S.Hight)
21:30 Back in Hotel Cacts, San Jose: Is great to have hot showers and really comfy beds again.  We missed the German guy by a few minutes who was also looking for us so we must have narrowly crossed paths. I recorded some final promo work with the photographer before he went his separate way and then myself and the German guy went to meet up with two Costa Rican girls he had met working in the other side of the park, Cabuya.

I am not sure yet that deciding to shop with girls was such a good idea, but they were ok and we had a great laugh – I kept calling a hairdresser dangerous as they are kind of similar words in Spanish. I sent off my first batch of postcards home and then got my haircut by a pretty girl, who on the one side said my hair was nice and I should come back, yet on the other hand used a razorblade to shave me and sort out the edges.  Did a good job though.

Once we ditched the girls, we went to pizza hut for our ‘Last Proper Meal’ before we were to be eaten by a Jaguar in Corcovado.  We (me and the German guy) then returned to the hotel where we slept like logs.