• Day 044: Monday February 13th



15:55 In the morning I had bacon sandwiches again before checking on all the data loggers once more, where I was surprised to learn while snorkelling that few of them had accumulated any algae growing on them at all, and the ‘red tide clouds’ that were so evident before had now disappeared leaving great visibility.  Near the end I actually saw an Adult Cortez Angelfish which I hope to track down again tomorrow with my camera, and I swam with a huge turtle with a black patch and a shell (carapace) of at least 1.5 metres in length, almost dwarfing me!

I haven’t seen any tourists for a while now which is ideal, perhaps due to moving the signs in the ‘Car Park’ area.  The last group I saw were Ticos (Costa Rican men) on bikes who turned around and came with me out of the park, and they were very nice students looking for their friend but didn’t realise the park was closed to everyone.

A couple of local Costa Rican university students came in with one of the park guards this afternoon too. And we got to enjoy seeing some White-Faced Capuchin Monkeys up-close - See Video 67.

23:00 I pretty much have just learnt Spanish this evening with the volunteers, and little else, they were very helpful. We watched some bats ‘dancing’ around the lights as well as with one another, I got introduced to some Costa Rican bands I should look up and we saw a large skinny stick insect!

Is It A Stick? (D.Philpot)