• Day 033: Thursday February 2nd


20.35 Today mostly involved collecting Tooth Snails for one of the OTS student research groups which was enjoyable and later this evening we got to learn some statistics which is always helpful to be getting a grip on at this stage in my career.

I continue to get as many of the local recipes from the kitchen staff as possible, some of this food is truly incredible and I really have things to take home with me especially if I can get my hands on some plantain (platanos) and avocados.

I am still finding DL’s analogies on things absolutely hilarious and her stories are even better e.g. the inflatable Boa Constrictor prank that used to be pulled on some student groups as they walked down the path into the reserve – haha!

This morning we hiked to the waterfall, was lovely of course but nothing to add to my species list.  It seems that due to the high canopy and open space below it most animals tend not to come around here at least at this time of year or when people are even remotely near as I never seem to see anything apart from Howler Monkeys fighting, Ants or… common Brown Litter Frogs.

I maintain being impressed by this guest lecturer, I asked “how many flights have you been on” and his answer was “I’m sure for definite that it’s easily over 1,000” and has only been to Antarctica three times… wow!

This evening it rained, which is a rarity, for about 15 minutes and certainly should be mentioned here as something different.  I love tropical rain, it is so much nicer than the extremely common heavy and cold British rain which comes unpredictably but normally on a day that is already as grey and miserable as possible.  Tomorrow I actually get to meet ML for the first time so really excited for that and I hope I can live up to his expectations aswell.