• Day 032: Wednesday February 1st


21:20 Had an amazingly entertaining fish lecture with guest lecturer J.B. Heiser, who was an absolute honour to speak to and work with, which was a talk that matched up to his great, yet eye-opening, speech on the Tsunami risk in this area due to the plates.  To start his lecture he wore an elaborate fish shirt, a fish nose and a cap that had a fish through it – and this is the guy who reclassified the taxonomy for the whole of the Grouper fish family that is now seen in modern books, what a legend.  It was great to hear a different take on the classic Fish Lecture from the guy that originally helped create the species list for this park (A list that I would be adding to in the near future!).

I next took a group tidepooling where it was actually fairly disappointing for once, very hot and I found nothing when two rocks were chosen to be flipped over.  However I did see a crab with a white downwards pointing arrow on its back that looked like someone took out some correction fluid (Tippex/Whiteout) on the poor guy, alas I cannot find a good crab book about for this area and only one of the 5 or 10 crabs I’ve seen was in the book.  Another unidentifiable species that won’t be going on my species list.

The snorkelling was very different, J.B. gave an in-water talk on coral biology where I learned that pufferfish and boring clams (molluscs) were the cause of the scratches on the surface of the Porites species of massive boulder coral found here, not Parrotfish as you would expect.  I found a Clingfish right by the Sharks Tooth rock and, as mentioned, J.B. confirmed saying he has never seen anything like it and, although tiny, this little guy provided something new to the both of us.  I took this unique opportunity with J.B. to get a handful of more decent photos too.
Clingfish By Sharktooth, Strange (D.Philpot)

Pelican On Sharktooth Rock (D.Philpot)
It’s been great to hang out with this guy, such an inspirational character… and how I would like to be in the future, especially in terms of his experiences and stories he so kindly shared.

This evening I also got a VERY close-up video of an Armadillo which can be seen here.