• Day 083: Friday March 23rd



22:15 The later breakfast today was very appreciated.  I am really enjoying joking about with the cooks now, name-calling in Spanish can go a long way.  I also need to swap pictures with them sometime.

I did a bit of reading and sorted out my room even more, to the point where it now almost feels like my room, before going snorkelling with the 2 volunteers.  Nothing really jumped out at me today however I peered under a rock to find the largest Porcupinefish that I have ever seen, it's head was around 2 foot wide by maybe 4 feet long.  I was so disappointed that I didn't have my camera but maybe I'll catch him this weekend around the same spot?  Upon returning from this snorkel I had found that my glasses had melted in the sun, or at least the protective coating...

In the afternoon I replaced the educational cards/tickets/signs for the common woody trees in the area whilst learning some of the names.  Need more copies to complete the job though, as well as time to really understand tropical botany.

I then retreated to the lab and continued to sort out species/photos.  I thought it was dark at 16:30, turns out my watch was wrong for some reason and it was actually around 18:00.  After dinner, still feeling a little confused I returned to the lab where I heard a howling noise that must have been a Coyote as I had never heard this animal call before (and after 7 months I still never knew what this was).  I got a call from a woman who kept saying "Hola?" (Hello) over and over, at which point the lights flickered and the power went out so it felt like I was suddenly featured in a Spanish horror film... spooky! I pushed on into the night and now I really need to sleep.  The waves, that are lapping at the shore only less than 30 metres away, are particularly loud tonight for some reason.