• Day 081: Wednesday March 21st



10:00 I think today is going to be interesting.  My first thought as I returned via the beach from the lab was; ‘how on earth did that leatherback turtle reach the top of the beach?’ 
Hardest Bird To Get A Photo Of - 1 (D.Philpot)
Cinema Seating From Last Night (D.Philpot)
Beforehand, I was interrupted from work by a Hummingbird that flew inside the small air-conditioned lab and library where I was working. There is no electricity currently so instead of working I caught the little guy, as he kept flying into the windows just like a confused moth or silly fly would do, transferred him into a large plastic bag for a few quick photos and then I held him before releasing him out at a nice area to ‘recover.’  It was beyond words to feel a Hummingbirds heart beat in your hands, though it only took him all of 3 seconds to recover but I did manage to get some pretty amazing photos of the little guy, especially of the structural pigments ML was teaching me about previously.  The Video of the Hummingbird flying about the lab before I netted/bagged/released it can be found here.

Resting In The Bag (D.Philpot)
Fast Recovery (D.Philpot)
Feeling The Sunlight (D.Philpot)
Feather Pigment Detail (D.Philpot)
14:30 One of the cooks taught me some more Spanish, I am continuing with some reading and we now have electricity back, although I have locked in the I.C.E. telecommunications workers… a learning curve I suppose though I deem it important to shut the entrance gate to the buffer zone of the park as it is good management practice I feel.  I sprinted back to the gate with a bad stomach (if only I had the quad bike / ATV key) and felt good to keep things official in this way.

On the walk back I saw a lot of True Bugs (have an “X” formed by folded wings), and butterflies mating end-to-end or tail-to-tail which looked odd.  Then I came across some tourists searching for a so-called “racoon cave” in the area, which does not exist, I tried not to laugh but managed to send them on their way with hopes of seeing better sights than a made up site-seeing opportunity.  The set for ‘Night of the Living Harlequin Crabs’ has moved by the entrance where they march in huge numbers to the point it sounds like rain and looks like the floor is moving.  I spoke to an interesting guy from InBio who told me more about the company and how they work closely with the Natural History Museum of London – Small world, interesting.

Harlequin crabs are coming through the floor now, I even found one about 10-12ft (feet) up in a tree and then I watched Simpsons in Spanish, rested (due to being ill as well as hot on and off) and read some more after a delicious fish dinner.

Harlequin Crab Invasion Start (D.Philpot)

Crab Video
Vertical Crab Determination (D.Philpot)