• Day 079: Monday March 19th



13:00 Didn’t get much sleep… I remembered at breakfast that I also agreed to work today.  And so I joined the team of “expert sanders/varnishers” (volunteers) and we spent the morning there.  One of the cooks and I had a very good and funny conversation, my Spanish improving with each day with them.  I watched Social Flycatchers keep building upon a nest using the Pochote seed fluff I am collecting, so I have competition (though I just need to seeds, not fluff). A large group of Magnificent Frigatebirds flew over, and the girls are currently sleeping.

22:00 I did some more reading today, before going swimming and having a good game of “volleyball” and piggy in the middle on the beach – where the “skanky queen” girl was now mostly the pig, even though she suggested the game bless her.

I took the weather as normal and tidied up.  After lunch I saw the first Coati since Monte Verde out and about, though I look forward to seeing the group of them around again.  I think this individual was the spy!

This evening we rearranged all the mattresses that were sat in the lab into a giant sofa where the volunteers and I watched some British stand-up comedy for a change on the “big screen” (sheet).  This went down pretty well though the fast pace of the guys English was a bit much for the Scandinavian volunteers, though they still found it funny.

One of the volunteers and I took a detour to enjoy another night watching the stars before an Anteater walked on by which is always a joy, so we stopped staring at all the stars and followed this guy instead for a bit.  I forgot how awkward sand could be... and before I went to bed I made some chocolate milk for the volunteer and myself as well as some fresh water melon.

A Perfect Night Scene (D.Philpot)