• Day 078: Sunday March 18th



22:30 A lot of reading was on my agenda today, I wanted to finish the book I was now on, which I did, and enjoyed it very much so.

Dove Walking Around Whilst Reading (D.Philpot)
I helped the volunteers out by helping varnish the last bit of the dormitories while Stumpy was seen again before we came back together and swam in the lagoon which is always a welcomed change.

Sunbathing Tiger-Throated Heron (D.Philpot)

Ctenosaur Sunbathing (D.Philpot)
For a video of a Ctenosaur please click here.
In the evening we cooked beef for everyone and made kebabs on a fire, which the Costa Rican station staff found strange which I will never understand.  After I noticed a ‘Camera Flash’ in the trees and what I thought would turn out to be some bizarre insect turned out to be my first lightning storm or electric storm experience.

Imagine seeing an intense light flash with no sound below a canopy of trees in the pitch black night, then imagine walking down the path with the feeling it was moving away from you, and then imagine going out onto the beach and watching as it looked like something was moving in and out of the treeline as if it was alive.  This is how I felt, it looked very strange until eventually I saw what was clearly a lightning bolt.

The night ended with the most perfect mood, out under the stars with an unforgettable scene that felt like a dream.

The Sunset This Evening (D.Philpot)