• Day 076: Friday March 16th



17:50 I took some photos and released the Bubble Snail, typed up the families of plants I have seen and added them to my list of almost 300 species (See Species Sightings) and renamed a lot of photos in my ‘species ID’ folder.  I saw a new red bird but have no clue what it could have been as it was such a fleeting glimpse as I started reading a second book whilst hanging out with quite a few comical Variegated Squirrels (Video 100).  I would love to make reading a daily thing… I love reading and more so since speaking to ML about his education and career path.
 
I See You (D.Philpot
This next entry was pretty funny, clearly not written by me:

“At 3:00pm I took the most beautiful girls in the world (‘K & S’) out for a swim. It was great!”

In fact it was not as glamorous because, when I took my gear from my room, I quickly discovered that wasps and ants had made a nest in one of my boots.  My boot came alive in my hand, the black swarm of hundreds moved down my arm and as soon as I realised I threw my dive boot along the ground towards the outside shower where they were washed out.

I showed them one of the large Conch snails, then maybe 2 metres later and a few seconds later one of the girls prodded me as if there was something really interesting but it was only another Conch snail.  We only had one mask to share besides my prescription one so the volunteers kept switching over and we basically swam one-on-one together.  At one point I was down taking photos of fish for a good while when one of the girls started walking on my back – lol!  It was quite a late snorkel (somewhat because of my new wasp friends) and the red tide bubbles/foams were still about so this meant we saw some different fish. There was a large Yellowtail Surgeonfish (black with white by its ‘scalpel’ like blade by its tail), a Porcupinefish and another odd fish with unusual colourations – still not identified.

When we got out I saw Stumpy the Black Vulture who has a bad leg yet has been around for years.  Then I helped one of the girls back up her photographs, then we all watched another breath-taking sunset where there were many dragonflies darting about.  For desert tonight we had these Coconut and Sugar cake things, which are simple yet delicious, and after a casual evening talk of a Nicaragua VISA trip was in the air, maybe before I go I will learn to spell it by myself…