• Day 075: Thursday March 15th



20:30 Today I took a semi-relaxed day, probably not relaxed in some people’s eyes but I am doing what I enjoy. I spent the morning hours, after more much needed coffee, reading up on fish behaviour in one of the hammocks – admittedly I think it shows I really didn’t spend that much time in a hammock during my time here. After an amazing chicken lunch I walked about the yard area collecting the fluff covered Pochote tree seeds for DL and the OTS summer course (perhaps), at which point I caught a video of a little Butterfly "courtship" - see here (video 98).

I walked to the lab and saw what I thought was either an Osprey, Grey-Headed Hawk or Forest Falcon – you can tell I am not an Avian Biologist huh, which turned out to be the last, a Forest Falcon.  It flew down the path in an area with a felled Pochote tree and with my sneaky photo snapping I had a photo good enough to get an ID on the awesome bird.
An Illusive Forest Falcon (D.Philpot)
I then cleaned up the lab, inspected the volunteers as well as help one of the park guards sand down the whole of the bunk or dorm house, I then found a gigantic quartz node right on the beach (that took every ounce of my strength to lift and carry to the lab), checked on the beautiful live bubble shell, put some previous shells collected out back on the beach and digitized the photo/image pages of a good bird book to use for future reference around Costa Rica.

The volunteers and I played cards, I introduced them to “Chase the Ace” or “Skanky Queen” and one of the girls was not so pleased to earn that title later on haha.

The sunset today was incredibly beautiful but I resisted taking too many photos, and so took this film instead - Video #99.

Group Shot (D.Philpot)
The Sky Around Us (D.Philpot)
After dinner I returned to the lab to sort out the last of my photos for now.  On my return I saw a Racoon eating a Harlequin Crab right on the trail so perhaps the ‘myth’ of the title “Crab-Eating Racoon” (as opposed to the other Northern Racoon) could be in fact true.

I am hoping I can get back out into the water tomorrow...