• Day 074: Wednesday March 14th


20:45 Another killer early start this morning where I had to have coffee to even feel like I existed, my brain didn’t really turn on today and in the afternoon I crashed out for a few hours.

I helped the L’s and the group leave and then on the way back got my first good glimpse of the illusive Squirrel Cuckoo bird and one (poor) photo. A large troop of Coatis passed and a troop of Capuchins too but I heard that the cooks had seen a Boa about! Naturally I am excited, so as one of the cooks dyed some bed sheets I looked about for this snake.  It might not have been a Boa but it surely explained why both troops of animals were so cautious and sticking mostly to the trees and also why I saw 3 Ctenosaurs huddled and hiding together.  Reading this now it sounds very silly and surreal but this is what happened.

I also managed to get some good photos of a few individuals including the first close-up shots of Variegated Squirrels (as well as a couple of videos: here and here).

Variegated Squirrels (Or "Scrat" Of Ice Age) Peek-A-Boo! (D.Philpot)
A Bugs Eye View (D.Philpot)
A Roasting Grackle In The Park? (D.Philpot)
I helped the other cook shave some coconuts for food using a plastic container and sitting on a block of wood with a blade on the end.  


The cooks occasionally poked me just mucking around saying “¡Cangarrajito!” which translates literally as “Small Crab” but for whatever reason that’s just how it is.

4 volunteers showed up, 3 girls and a guy, so I spent the rest of the day being sociable passed out, showering, eating and tidying my room before eventually feeling 100% and ready for playing card games with the volunteers.

In the morning DL and I went over some Spanish that I struggled to translate by myself and we spoke about the Harlequin Crabs where she told me of “Harlequin Crab Hockey” which is less malicious and evil then it seems, it involves sweeping them out of the lab and it just so happens they slide along the floor easily until they reach the muddy ground outside.

I walked one of the cooks out to the car park in the dark and talking to her got me thinking about returning to England or not (or not for long at least).