• Day 069: Friday March 9th


19:00 Had another great breakfast today that included some of DL’s amazing lemon curd as well as my favourite mix of the incredible coffee, plantain, salt & pepper eggs, pineapple as well as some traditional Gall Pinto (rice and beans mix) which, unlike other people, I’m not bored of yet as it is extremely nice here in the park.  We all had a nice lie-in though, I personally feel like I need to re-climatise to the weather down here compared to being up in Monte Verde.

Following this we went out for a rather late swim in the lagoon, which made a change from wearing fins and made me feel quite pathetic fighting some of the waves. I didn’t see many fish but afterwards we sat in a extremely hot tidepool that was pretty much a hot tub though this had tonnes of small fish which were a joy to watch eating the algae. I did however spot these guys hiding out among the rocks:
Moth Catchin' Rays (D.Philpot)

Clingfish In Plain Sight (D.Philpot)
I then went to the lab for a few hours with DL’s laptop to backup my growing photo collection.  That feeling of having all my photos in just one place started to ease away with relief that I had not lost anything.

23:00 Said goodbye to the volunteers leaving me alone for tonight. Saw an Armadillo breaking into a coconut, plus 3 others all very close by to the first. I discovered the data logger data are lost, possibly forever… but at least I still have my pictures.

Cannot believe it is almost 10 weeks since I left home, going quite fast at the moment and if this was any other expedition or placement it would normally be over by around now.  The thought of returning to England makes me sad, but being here has made me realise exactly what there is left for me back home before I can check off my bucket list of things to do and either do a second masters university degree or work somewhere else in the world.