• Day 067: Wednesday March 7th



12:00 Went with my host dad to feed his chickens this morning, Oso the dog didn’t help much and was being as crazy as always – perro loco! And then we milked the cow again as he showed me all his land properly as well as his herb garden.  He then told me a story of a student that had been staying with them that went on a walk and went missing for 3 days as they decided to climb what looked like a mountain to me where they broke their ankle (they were found and lived, but still!).

I did some more Spanish reading, and practice with my host dad. Not too long later I walked again to Casa L in the rain, Oso tried following me down the garden path.

I met the cows that DL had told me broke out (through some fences that are basically on a cliffside which you wouldn’t think possible) and again no one was home. DL appeared from the bottom of the garden, which is on a hillside so very steep.  I had a chat with ML as DL set-up another quick small plant-o-rama to reinforce what I had learnt, where today I was interrupted by the oddest caterpillar I think I will ever see that have a ‘Head Shield’ or ‘Mask’ looking thing – turns out this turns into the infamous Common Blue Morpho butterfly.  
Juvenile Blue Morpho (Butterfly) Caterpillar (D.Philpot)
Anyway, I still need to type up some notes on these plants on top of the tropical woody trees I have learnt so far.  I typed up the inventory for DL and the station back at Cabo Blanco, then DL showed me how to make an African chicken stew using peanut butter, as well as how to prepare plantains in an alternative way.  I got some time on the internet which was good and I came up with a plan seeming as my laptop is quite clearly no more…

DL reminded me that the journey back to the park would be quite different and logistically interesting as you have to take 2 or 3 different buses depending on the timing.  ML then gave me a lift back in his very old jeep, that tonight smelt of a dead rodent mixed with trash, to my first host family where I had to ‘break in’ through the back door.