• Day 063: Saturday March 3rd


21:30 Left Cabo Blanco around 8:30am, where I headed up to the Monte Verde valley in the L’s car, and I got to see both DL and ML as a couple… making jokes and holding interesting discussions which made the journey fun.  They told me the unfortunate story of a Costa Rican boy that was killed on “the S” road as he fell of a lorry and was crushed by a steam roller (of all things) that was following… yeah, gross I know.  I got to see a traditional Ox cart and I was also pointed out cashew nut trees, mango trees, coffee buildings as well as the mildly entertaining highway information.

Traditional Costa Rican Ox Cart (D.Philpot)
As we ascended into Monte Verde I felt the change in temperatures with elevation and the change in vegetation, which was especially noticeable as we drove around very precariously dangerous cliffs that reminded me of the famous final scene from the classic Italian Job movie. The pictures below don't really illustrate it but check out Video #88 also.

Approaching The Base Of Monte Verde - Around Rio Seco/Claro (D.Philpot)
Monte Verde Valley Panoramic Shot From The Car Window (D.Philpot)
Upon arriving at ‘Casa L’ I had rum and apple juice on the back porch followed by freshly picked oranges from the garden (ah! The life of a scientist – a life of luxury).  I felt somewhat lost in amazement as I was greeted by an Emerald Toucanette, a Blue-Crowned Motmot, Brown Jays, and a Wood Stork, all of which impressive and beautiful animals that I suggest you look up on the internet rather than me ranting on about them all.

Later on I then met my first host family, who were extremely welcoming.  They helped me out with my Spanish a lot, we watched some kind of bull-fighting but it is somewhat humane in that the bull isn’t killed, a few people do ride rodeo though and some further lunatics even play a proper game of football (with goals set up too) in, yes inside, the bull fighting arena…

At dinner time a little while ago there were some “fireflies” in the kitchen (that turned out to be Click Beetles) which literally had what looked like a couple of light bulbs on their abdomen/body and I all of a sudden I thought I was in some Disney film or something as such strange unimaginable things in nature give you a very strange feeling that I can only describe as ‘Just when you think you’ve seen everything.’