• Day 060: Wednesday February 29th


22:00 Today we had a further history of Cabo Blanco talk followed by a fish lecture from ML, where I do like his version of the talk but it also really made me look forward to maybe giving it myself one day as I could pinpoint a couple of improvements.  The power actually went out so we had to save the fish video for later.  This video, as I haven’t mentioned it before, simply goes through some of the common and rare but interesting fish that were filmed out in the lagoon where students would shortly be after seeing the footage.  The students were given Fish Flash Cards to sort extensively instead of having both materials before we got into the water.

I opted to lead the “beginner group” who turned out to be practically experts including a red headed girl and a guy who took a new GoPro camera out on his head to capture the whole snorkel session in HD.  The red head spotted a Nudibranch (Sea Slug) alone and after swimming an anticlockwise circuit of the lagoon we swam back and bumped into a turtle.

Almost immediately I took a second group out in the same manner/arrangement where this time I saw the smallest juvenile puffer ever that was literally only about 1 cm (yes, one centimetre) in length.  We also saw a Pale-nosed Moray again and another turtle upon returning and calling it an afternoon.  

A video of one of the turtles can be seen here in Video 86.

Hawkfish Camoflauge (D.Philpot)
Hide And Go Peek (D.Philpot)
I actually got pretty painful leg cramps and so I was actually busy rubbing my legs instead of following this turtle with everyone else, at which point I spotted my first Banded Serano - however no photo.

This evening we didn’t really do much, I spoke to DL about trees and we just saw another Snake species (A chunk-headed Snake) as well as a Mite - which I did get a photo of unlike the Snake.

A Mite, None Like These In England (D.Philpot)