• Day 059: Tuesday February 28th



22:00 After breakfast we collected a delivery of more food by road, meanwhile the main fridge was being repaired.  We progressed to clean the main lodge, the dorms/bunk house, the labs and rake all the leaves ready for our next group, Evergreen College.

At midday I took the crazy Swedish girls for a snorkel and to put the data loggers back.  Whilst we were out at the corner of Tableland I was busy working to tie the data logger down when I noticed a Moray Eel was literally just laying spread out relaxing on the rocks which was quite special so I called over the volunteers to see him.

Palenosed Moray-Eel Sunbathing (D.Philpot)
The usual fish were also seen, I managed to get a decent photo of a Hancock's Tube Blenny out and about.

Eye See You (D.Philpot)
 I also took photos of the girls for them to keep and then on return I said we might see a turtle and that we did – Tina the Turtle! She is so relaxed and once I see it is her I know that whoever I’m with will have a green turtle experience.  She swam up from the bottom, super-calm compared to other turtles which belt it and disappear, didn’t care where I positioned myself duck-diving or put my camera so we hung out for at least 15 or 20 minutes with her.

Tina The Turtle In The Shallow Sunlight (D.Philpot)
Upon returning to land the Swedish volunteers found Gecko eggs on their curtains, one of which was broken which we assume was the tiny guy we found in their room yesterday.   

Gecko Eggs Fresh Off The Curtains (D.Philpot)
Evergreen then arrived, I orientated them by myself which I think went pretty well.  We had dinner after a gorgeous sunset followed by DL’s fantastic history talk once again before I watched some of a stand-up comedy movie with the volunteers.  Lastly we undertook a brief night tidepooling session where there were a lot of pesky flies about, to the point where most people swallowed one, and so the word brief is somewhat emphasized.