• Day 058: Monday February 27th


18:00 Last night it was extremely windy for once and I got woken by it on a couple of occasions. There was also no electricity and following a phone call from one of the cooks I went all the way to the entrance gate (about a 40 minute casual walk if you know the way) to let the I.C.E. Costa Rican Telecommunications in for park maintenance and repairs though there was no one to see until 20 minutes of waiting.  This ladies and gentlemen is so-called “Tico Time” and is also why the iPod is genius.

I returned to the station eventually and then went snorkelling with a lucky volunteer to quickly collect the data loggers that I hope had held up until now, of which we came back with 4 out of 5.  The so-called “Open Ocean” logger had been claimed by its named and was probably now descending to the deep or lodged on a rock just out of view.  I was somewhat surprised by this as this logger was strapped firmly to a flat surface of rock using cable ties and surplus rubber bands, then a secondary marine strengthened rope was tied to part of the lagoon (solid rock) before being tied round a massive loose bolder and ending tied to a 4 kg dive weight.  All of this was then wedged by me into the corner of this small “bay” that was to the side of the lagoon right against the Pacific Ocean.  So you would think this would hold for a week.  Apparently not, ok so I suppose the ocean can move trees or move continents and so I admit defeat, but nevertheless this ‘loss’ of data might be temporary but my hope is almost non-existent and the only annoyance is that comparing all the data points would have proved pretty interesting I feel.

I finally caught up on this journal, meaning I didn’t want to risk taking it to Corcovado so have just finished copying everything over from the temporary journal I kept during that tough week.  The cooks returned, a delivery of food shortly followed and I gave them a gift of tea towels and spatulas which came all the way from England, and this made them quite happy.

I have just had to remove a small (“massive”) Wolf Spider as well as this “scary” tiny baby Gecko from the Swedish girls room – Wimps! You know who you are :-)

The Big Scary Gecko - On My Wrist (D.Philpot)
They repaid me by teaching me to play Uno, then I taught them a couple of card games as well as a simple magic trick I had picked up previously and then before it got too late they taught me a new interesting game called “10-1” or “10 to 1.” Right before bed I was interested to learn that in Sweden they actually have a word for the poor quality snow that soon turns black and slushy which I am used to calling “Snush” (A mixture of snow and slush) but am now going to call “Slask” broadening my language skills that much more.