• Day 102: Wednesday April 11th



20:40 Still enthralled by yesterdays Nurse Shark so it was no burden at all when a member of staff from the group approached me asking "would you mind going snorkelling again?" - what would you say? I know right! First however I helped students out at the lab, where I fell over in front of a girl carrying water - quite funny, and also continued with the butterfly species list.
Reptiles Out Chillin' (D.Philpot)
After we set off snorkelling I came across a rather weird Nudibranch (a sea slug).  Normally simply small and colourful version of a slug you would find on land to the average person, this fellow had a green body, with one set of orange gills on what looked like to be on its butt but on it's "head end" (they don't always have an end that looks like a head), this one had a white ball which seemed to move and change shape.  I thought a fish might have bit it off, maybe, but before I got too lost watching it forever I myself got lost in a larger school of Chub - it feels quite strange to be surrounded by so many fish.  I also took photos of algae, so I had a better representation of them in my collection of photos, a couple of Flag Cabrillas facing each other off in a minor battle, some Acupulco Gregorys (Damselfish) 'booming' sounds at each other as well as a Dog Snapper who also produced a loud boom when surprised by Mojarra Grunt - and possibly me.  Tina the turtle was also around, she came up to breath a few times and kept dodging us too by appearing where we weren't looking to take her breath at the surface.

COMPETITION TIME!!!
What On Earth Is This? £30 To Whoever Can Tell Me (D.Philpot)
 Other Snorkelling Photos:
Colourful Sea Slug (D.Philpot)

Halimeda (D.Philpot)

Pretty Blue Stuff (D.Philpot)

Pink Algae... (D.Philpot)

Grunt Close-Up (D.Philpot)

Chubs Everywhere (D.Philpot)

Penamic Fanged Blenny (D.Philpot)

Bobbly Green Algae (D.Philpot)

Flag Cabrilla Close-Up (D.Philpot)
In the afternoon I spent some time mucking about with the cooks, done some inventory, got a nice photo of a Litter Skink before washing dissecting equipment.  I got to speak on the phone to the Canadian girl about Nicaragua, the visa trip we were due, before we had an interesting lecture specifically on sharks by P. Lobel.  I learnt here that sharks heal without leaving scar tissue, and got to see lots of his exclusive footage from cameras connected (improvingly nicely) to sharks.  ML also told me about the zoo he once had, I still find it crazy the among the L's had done with their lives, truly inspirational characters.

About to go up to the lab I found another interesting bug:
 
From The Back (D.Philpot)


Mecha Bug (D.Philpot)
And... On the way to the lab I saw a sunset over my favourite spot:
Sunset Over My Favourite Spot (D.Philpot)

DL and I watch El Mariachi late in the evening, I loved the storyline to this movie, the dog character especially (reminding me of the dog we had seen at the Malpais surf camp), and for them to produce this great movie on a small budget with only local people I think is amazing.