• Day 101: Tuesday April 10th



19:00 After breakfast I discovered one of the OTS girls had also been out to the same remote site in Indonesia, so in that moment the world felt incredibly small and we had an in depth discussion about how the area had changed through sharing our experiences.  It was great to hear this from the "next generation" of marine scientists - now I am just making myself sound old.

DL and I went to the lab and deciphered the DVD's work however a drive on a laptop doesn’t.  Then I followed by stumping DL with the "albino hawk" which we decided might be a White Hawk, where is ML when you need him…!

Snorkelling was next.  The water was again very clear and very blue water, which worried me slightly with the past couple of weeks attending to dead fish.  However, soon I thought of how there could be a notable difference in fish community dynamics, maybe due to the red tide certain fish had ran away or perhaps I would see something(s) new, so I became excited… however this was not really the case.

I saw a group of Sabertooth Blennies together, fish that pretend to be cleaner fish but bite their fishy clients instead and I saw red tide bubbles and foam.  To top it all off there was a Nurse Shark chilling out on the bottom, I couldn't believe it when an American kid first said "Dean, there's a shark here."  I made sure people gave it space, and soon proceeding by diving to the bottom from a considerable distance away, moving slowly towards the graceful creature and snapping a few photos.
Good Dog Snapper Shot (D.Philpot)

Nurse Shark Close-Up (D.Philpot)

Can You See The Scorpionfish? (D.Philpot)



Scorpionfish Front (D.Philpot)
Porites Coral Bitemarks By... Pufferfish, Not Parrotfish! (D.Philpot)
Suspicious Looking Foam (D.Philpot)

Green Is My Favourite Colour... (D.Philpot)
I don't believe anything was especially around because of the red tide, the dead fish on the surface were snapped up by other opportunistic fish and other animals just a few hours after they started to wash up on the beach.  ML had arrived when we swam back in with more mail for me in hand which is always great to hear, one of my nans (grandmas) had attempted to write to me in Spanish which was really sweet bless her.  I also found out that one of the cooks was ill… once the other smaller mischievous cook got me to "jaguar attack" her, which was admittedly highly entertaining though I would not have done it if I knew she was ill. 
A Resting "Caballo" (D.Philpot)
Would you believe I almost stood on another yellow Cane Toad tonight, I say yellow as no-one seems to tell me an alternative name to the normal Cane Toad.  This was on the way to a lecture on fish acoustics with reference to sharks by Phillip Lobel, who is renowned for his work with sharks and for working out in remote places such as the Chagos archipelago, Papua New Guinea - PNG and Palau. 
Flag Cabrilla Dissection (D.Philpot)

Unknown Blenny Species (D.Philpot)
April Night Sky (D.Philpot)