• Day 096: Thursday April 5th



17:00 Saw a new butterfly on the path after taking a long walk this morning, it was big and again orange-yellow in colour though I am sure with the rains I will see many more different types.

There park guard has disappeared somewhere and I'm not sure where.

I managed to speak to Krystal on the phone which was nice, a lovely girl.

I had peanut butter for lunch for a change which was good and definitely worth a note! It's the small things sometimes :-)

Whilst speaking to DL on the phone two Coatis ran out from the leaf litter to the left of El Comedor dining hall under the washing line.  They both leapt over the steps in-chase and ran under the corner where I was sitting in a chair whilst squeaking at each other the whole time - definitely my favourite mammal!

There was a Gecko and Anole in the shower with me, and afterwards I spotted the highest Ctenosaur to date - way up in the treetops above the yard area.  I noticed a lot of invertebrates/bugs/insects around, or flying into, the lodge sink...
A Silly Beetle (D.Philpot)

Green Coloured Beetle (D.Philpot)

Some Cicada Fly (D.Philpot)
Upon taking the weather I found that over 48 ml of rain fell in the prolonged storm during last night, normally it has been 0-8 ml since my arrival.  On the beach on return I counted 3 dead Yellowfin Mojarras (fish, these being around 10 cm in length) being nibbled on by hermit crabs.  I was unaware what I would have to see and deal with tomorrow though…

20:45 It turns the park administrator had picked up the park guard as he was "ill" which comes as no surprise if at 72 you have 30+ cigarettes a day and only lie in a hammock and therefore the park went almost unmanned for about 2 hours.  I made some 'lime-aid' and tried using the "more efficient" electric lemon juicer which was and will always be useless, much better and easier with hands… unless you have small cuts! A Cane Toad pooped outside my room and right now there are so many they sound like Pecarrys (type of wild pig) right now.  Another beautiful evening, check out my two video of the clouds:

Video 1


Video 2