• Day 094: Tuesday April 3rd


08:00 It is breakfast and I am still thinking about last night, I am not even entirely sure I went to bed.  It was truly an awe inspiring moment to watch juvenile sharks hunting for fish centimetres from the shoreline, and has inspired me to go check the beach more often randomly - maybe they would be back again tonight.

18:30 As I am writing this entry there is the biggest thunderstorm I have ever seen, where the quietest and smallest booms are equal to the largest and most scary I have ever heard home in England before… this is actually scary, and only the start of them!  It is hard to believe only half an hour ago I was watching another gorgeous sunset, now the floor is literally trembling beneath my feet and it sound like Costa Rica is going to be snapped in half like a stick by the heavens - the mosquitoes by the light don't seem to care though.

A video of this big storm can be seen here!

This morning I finished the Reef Fish Behaviour book and I have now moved on to The Great Barrier Reef: A Reef in Time, a book by one of my idols that I am really enjoying already.

Around midday another park guard from Cabuya showed up who has spent some time working out on Isla De Cocos, that dreamlike place people around here talk about as being incredible - for at least hammerhead sharks, a place I wish remains as untouched and natural as it is.  I swept my room out and realised how clever these damn mosquitoes are in that as soon as there is one drop of rain they all know it and are out!

I documented the interesting interaction last night (in more detail than I have given here) and it made me wonder if it would be possible to snorkel right before sunset tomorrow.  It turns out this park guard is 72, he makes me wish I am healthy enough to help out in marine protected areas such as parks when I am older.

23:15 Dinner was surprisingly nice, it is amazing what a bit of mince, salt, pepper, beans, rice and herbs can do! I decided that it would be a good idea for me and my food baby to go watch a movie tonight, I choose 'Paloma de Papel' which is a great movie.