• Day 093: Monday April 2nd



18:20 Today has been interesting (of course), it started with the lads cleaning the lodge under watch of the park guard whilst I ate watermelon and pineapple to try catch up on missing breakfast - doesn’t sound too fair at this point does it!

One of my aims for today was to read most of the fish behaviour book, though I kept getting interrupted by somewhat random phone calls - Costa Ricas phone numbers are short and can be easily similar so got quite a few 'wrong numbers' just seemed more apparent today, although some calls were for the park guard.. who was not around whenever it rang.
Also Unimpressed With Random Phone Calls (D.Philpot)

At lunchtime a baby Coati ran across the yard area by itself randomly and ran up the path towards the dorm house.  Howler Monkeys kept making brief appearances to the area every few hours.

When it came for the volunteers to leave some tourists appeared from the trail but not a single person saw them come along the beach.  Right after the park guard left there was a couple more however my Spanish is good enough at this point to hold conversations as to why they need to leave.  Luckily both groups of tourists were respectful and left easily, as they should do if they care about nature.  There was even a paraglider flying around like an annoying fly that wouldn't leave you alone, such horrible noises those things make and I don't imagine he saw much from above the tree tops though it appeared like he crashed in some instances.  A very odd situation as I couldn't flag him down though I felt that it would have been good to have a megaphone or flags for enforcement - and I didn’t know if the air above the park was protected also.  Once the racket died down I gathered some coconuts and put them in the fridge.

I am now pondering about what to have for dinner and as to how much I want to go snorkelling again, with Howler Monkeys crying out in the distance.  One of the female park guards I have never met before arrives tomorrow so it will be great to finally cross paths with her and formally introduce myself.  Just when I was wondering what else could happen here… wham! Some more interesting interactions.

22:00 I decided to just "go look at the beach," for no real reason, and there was a large Fishing Bat (larger than the normal Sapwing Bats I see about) which kept swooping down under my torch light and grabbing what I were I presume Mullet from the surface waters of the lagoon.  I didn't see him for too long though, as I think it became aware of me lighting up the area, along with some other animals…

There in shallows I noticed the light caught a brown surface sticking out from the water like a fin, I double-taked just to be sure and there was most definitely a fin sticking out of the water only 3 metres at most from the beach and my toes.  What I was looking at was a tan to beige coloured Nurse Shark, and a small baby one at that! I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I questioning myself for a second "is it actually a fish…" hmm "nope, most definitely a shark."  I then noticed what it was doing which is hard to explain in words.

Shallow Shark (D.Philpot)
With a tide the waves you get on a beach follow a cycle so you have 5 small waves followed by 2 larger waves coming up the beach for instance, correct? What the shark was doing was coming closer to the beach sensing for fish (these sharks have undeveloped vision) and with each set of the bigger waves it would swim right in the surf where the waves were rolling back from the beach into the sea.  The shark swam along the shoreline a couple of metres where it was so shallow his pectoral (side) fins were sticking out of the surf waves into the air above the sand of the beach.  Now because I was amazed to be watching a shark in the surf for about 20 minutes I eventually realised that it was using my light as a guide so it kept repeating the same thing in a cycle, swimming in a circle away from the beach with smaller waves and swimming towards the beach getting ready to swim along the beach with the bigger waves, the whole time staying more or less in my light - even if I kept it in one spot.  I was so amazed that there were in fact TWO baby Nurse Sharks :-)