• Day 087: Tuesday March 27th



23:00 This morning we played frisbee again before a, very different, shell-o-rama where we only roughly sorted them without names and… I led the whole thing!

After a quick snack I ran to get the data loggers and on the way out I saw 3 large turtles with Chameleon Wrasse cleaning as well as the same massive Porcupinefish taunting me once again as I floated there camera-less.

Once I had downloaded the data in the lab I returned for the official snorkelling session.  The Porcupinefish had now of course disappeared, but I did see a Sabertooth Blenny (a mimic that takes a bite of its "client fish" instead of cleaning it) properly for the first time which was cool. 

Here are some of my best photos from this snorkelling session (11 Photos):

Male Mexican Hogfish - To Photo Difficulty: Extreme (D.Philpot)
Acapulco Damsels Protect Their Algae Garden (D.Philpot)
Dog Snapper On Watch (D.Philpot)
Fish Spotted (D.Philpot)
Barberfish On Cleaning Duty (D.Philpot)

Grunt Grunt Grunt.. (D.Philpot)

That's A Moray!!! (D.Philpot)

Swifty Juvenile Angelfish (D.Philpot)

Sabertooth "Mimic" Blenny (D.Philpot)

Cute Lil Puffer (D.Philpot)

Camera Curious Puffer (D.Philpot)
For the afternoon I napped, helped build a fire, where the Costa Rican students joined in (Cobano Pumas).  We then had a fantastic traditional game of Costa Rican kick-about football (a Mejenga), where I grazed my knee pretty badly and didn't notice - an almost weekly standard I used to experience during my childhood.

Later on around dinner we played the card game Slam (or Spit, similar to Speed) and had a bilingual quiz which proved interesting.  After dinner we had the fire (a big one) before having games of 'Night Frisbee' thanks to the use of some Duct Tape and Glow Sticks, one of my "good ideas".  Tomorrow we are heading out together to the Malpais Surf Camp (Ticos and Canadians) which I look forward to, if I get to try surfing.