• Day 139: Friday May 18th

Officially, I am not a huge fan of: Wasps, Moths, Scorpions, Beetles, Ants and Snakes…
21:30 I don't know why but last night I was thinking about venomous snakes.  Now, I know what you are thinking… why was Dean thinking about that and posting about last night today?
Well, it was hot and buggy anyway so I couldn't sleep so I turned on my torch (flashlight) at ~20:20 and there… ONCE AGAIN! Just at the point where I began to think "maybe I was hallucinating," Sid the snake was in the rafters…

Quickly I turned my light off so he wouldn’t retreat, I grabbed the infamous brooms and (after a small struggle) as promised, on the last 500 metre occasion, I took Sid on a long walk to Playa Balsitas!!! This is a beach that is normally about a half hour walk away… actually takes about 20mins with a snake on a stick it turns out. 

Along the way I was laughing at the situation I was in with Sid, I almost stepped on a scorpion, stepped on Bactrys Palm tree spines (oh yeah, I just grabbed flip flops seeming as I didn’t have much time to make a better choice), and dropped/lost the snake once or twice as he bailed of the stick. I battled my way over logs and under water drenched plants, with moths flying in my face (due to my headlight) but I was glad as it wasn't raining this time although… maybe this would just make it easy for Sid to slither back.  Once at the beach I put him down on the rocks, then a wave came and he swam (almost faster than I could walk/run) in the direction I wanted to go myself. I stubbed my other big toe and thus broke my flip flops, so I ditched the snake and hobbled/ran with a big stick along the beaches with only the lightening guiding the way as my headlamp began to dim.

Now I am about to shower, relax/recover a little, then sleep (peacefully forever more?). A millipede decided to join me in the shower, and I just wanted to add which sums my feelings just now - damn nature, you scary!

15:45 Now what I actually did Friday was write up my statistics notes finally, most of which made sense. I practised my Spanish listening in the lab using a CD and some other audios. A group of people arrived to help sand down the benches.  I didn’t go snorkelling and instead read through more folders that DL had left me including a shell-o-rama spin-off in the form of an insect-o-rama, and then I slept to summarise the day.
Finally Got A Shot Of The Illusive Wood-Rail (D.Philpot)

Lizard On My Hand (D.Philpot)
02:00 So about an hour ago most definitely the largest storm I have ever heard began to pass over with THE LOUDEST thunder crack I will probably ever hear in my life (almost like a bomb?) and now a torrential storm continues.  The lightning flashes are amazing, and I sit here wondering how 'big' things will get before August.