• Day 126: Saturday May 5th - "The Return of the Snake"


Last night I decided the lightning (electric) storms here are officially my new favourite thing, worth coming to Costa Rica for almost alone! It is impossible to stop watching the bolts jump upwards or to the sea and letting out involuntary "wows!"

So yes, at about 10:00 last night it started raining whilst I was playing a little chess on my PC (so glad I did).  At this same time I heard a plop or more like a loud thud about a metre away from me as I lay on my bed, and sure enough as I looked to my right I saw that my snake friend was on the floor by my door AGAIN! It was almost as if he appeared from nowhere and it must have been the same guy as he was exactly the same size with identical patterns on his head, besides… this one obviously had an obsession over my door.  After removing the decorative sheet I have hanging on it, that apparently he likes so much, I took more photos before again wrangling him with two brooms. 
I Can Live Here With You Yes? (D.Philpot)
My Doorframe Is Your Doorframe (D.Philpot)

Hiya Buddy (D.Philpot)

Sid The Snake (D.Philpot)
Obviously 20 metres was not enough and so this time I took my buddy on a little walk 400-500 metres down the path past the dorms and the lab, in the pouring rain! where I let him go far away by a small wooden bridge by a dry stream. It's funny how easily you become a great snake handler, and thanks mum for the previous comment "maybe he will come back for you…" - another sleepless night? or perhaps I will hide in a cocoon using my sleeping bag liner sheet forever more each night!
My Snake On A Broom, In A Monsoon (D.Philpot)
Now I must summarise Saturday in the minute of spaces (nothing much else happened anyway). I went snorkelling with one of the volunteers - saw an Octopus, huge Surgeonfish, and lots of Azure Parrotfish again. And again… no camera! I took a necessary nap, then we had food (couscous etc.) and I made the best banana milkshake ever using bananas that were going off.

This evening at the lab I saw another interesting moth and bugs...
 
Green Bug Moth - Top (D.Philpot)


Green Bug Moth - Front (D.Philpot)

Odd-Shape Moth (D.Philpot)

and I decided to read up about the snake in what is quoted to be the only decent reptile book for the area.  The snake I whittled my friend down to was Leptodeira annulata and a lovely passage of the book read "the venom of L. annulata is strong enough to cause a severe reaction in humans…" good to know!
A Beautiful Reptile Passage (D.Philpot)