• Day 124: Thursday May 3rd


18:15 This morning I was meant to (and was looking forward to going) snorkelling, however I decided against it as there was a lot of rain but more than that… electrical storms about which continued till about 21:00 and through the night. I have no idea to describe an electrical storm other than using the word magical, rather than typical lightening you see lightning bolts bouncing off the sea, upwards from clouds and spreading like tree branches or UFO-like flashes and movements in the sky.

I did however finish Nudibranch Behaviour already, just because it was such an interesting read.. I never normally finish a book so fast.  I learnt a lot also about coral reef related things, fuelling my passion, and it was extremely well written complemented with extraordinary photos.

Before lunch I saw a Social Flycatcher swoop down at a young Coati! And beforehand I caught a baby Coati red-handed in the sink, of all places, behind the El Comedor lodge outside the kitchen attempting to gnaw through the protective wood fencing that surround the kitchen and importantly, our food.
Spot The Moth, Hiding From The Birds... (D.Philpot)

I took the weather as normal but made a change to be recording values for rain, then some volunteers (with difficult names) showed up. I again surprised myself with Spanish talking with them though, and then we watched the sunset. They also decided to use a significant amount of the food I am rationing without asking, though they did cook a delicious fish dinner so I let them off. I then had a massive conversation in Spanish about fishes, snorkelling, rock formations and methane vents! Looks like I'll be going to Malpais tomorrow for… food… and internet - pros and cons I suppose. Snorkelling in the morning!!!
Bromeliad Flowering, Pineapple Family (D.Philpot)
Tonight the full moon looked particularly stunning on the water, too bad my camera is not good enough to capture it, I even thought it was bioluminescence during the 23:00 seed experiment check as the moonbeams seem to pass right through the waves crashing on shore.