• Day 120: Sunday April 29th


13:00 This morning I saw another, colourful, giant moth.
 
Scale Photo (D.Philpot)


"Yellow Leaf Moth" (D.Philpot)

I watched a film whilst wearing long trousers to help all my bites heal and then after lunch I wondered if and which volunteers would come tomorrow. I saw a new bird to add to my list which was light blue and grey with red feet and a forked tail (which later turned out to be a Longtailed Manakin).
Someone's Enjoying The Sun (D.Philpot)
Around lunch I had a phone call from one of the cooks (Caballo) to say her and Caballita will call tomorrow, and JOKED about a snake keeping me company…...

After lunch I almost got peed on by a Howler Monkey in the trash area after discovering a Coati had got hold of a rubbish bag by one of the bins as the lid wasn't on right. I spoke to DL about visiting Monte Verde and that the Pichote seed experiment was actually doing something.  I saw the large giant moth again, it looked torn, rough and battered to the point it was not looking great.  The moth sat on the wooden lodge walls but fell to the floor and upon coaxing it to get outside among the trees somewhere I watched as it flew centimetres from the roof before it was immediately snatched out of the air by a Social Flycatcher.   
 
The Poor Moth (D.Philpot)

The whole event was unbelievably surprising and fast, I couldn't believe the luck of the poor moth but the moth was well on his way and I thought it's just the circle of life. Following this I saw a Coati shimmy up a coconut palm tree perfectly which looked strange. 

21:30 I started to watch the Terminator films and ran into some trouble cooking the chicken bodies… and feet! Yum, oh and I also discovered I was sharing my bench with a Scorpion the whole time.