• Day 115: Tuesday April 24th


22:00 DL and I set up the Pochote seed project.  The Mollusc group left and I didn't get much chance to say goodbye as I was literally running about on errands,  After they left I had only a few minutes to pack for Malpais. I had some good conversations with Elias, which is most odd as either I can understand his accent now or he is toning down for me… I recalled how originally back in January how "I would never be able to speak with this guy in Spanish."

I got dropped off at the supermarket, found the brown sugar for the cooks, found a good thick pair of flip-flops straight away before grabbing some cosmetics and some snacks. Then I sat uploading Nicaragua photos online for ages before sitting on eBay and Amazon for a while trying to work out the cheapest option to get a replacement camera of the same type.  Ages here refers to the slowness of the internet here, nothing more.

Once sorted I returned to the station where DL and ML were ready to leave. At this point a new park guard showed up, another person to get to know and to practice my Spanish with. Next I helped the L's out of the park and returned to read for awhile.

Welcome To The Jungle (D.Philpot)

Sunset Posing (D.Philpot)
After these sunset photos with the cooks I went to the lab to add species sightings to my log as well as to borrow a camera (along with some sandals) before watching a film. I woke at 11:00 and 03:00 tonight to check the number of seeds floating and to count if any had germinated or sunk - a task that was undertaken every 4 hours.