• Day 171: Tuesday June 19th CSU Program - San Miguel Station


22:30 The new van arrived at the L's at the same time I did, though I had to dodge cows as I made my way in, and luckily the Bellbird that is known for hanging out here was around but I never caught a glimpse.

After coffee with the driver and final packing we loaded the truck then I went round to collect PS as well as the students staying with the families in the upper area of the valley. We were to meet at the cemetery though on the way there with the first load of students it had turned out that most of the dogs from their host families had decided to follow us including Toby, a very large husky with scary looking eyes.  We bumped into the L's and ML climbed on board the luggage truck laying down on top of all the luggage on the roof which was a little amusing.

We unloaded the truck at the bus by the cemetery before collecting the remaining students from the lower "INVU" area of San Luis. Returning to the bus with a few students sat in the back of the truck, we did the rest of the packing and I was surprised that it all fitted into the box on top.
Leaving The Valley (D.Philpot)

Local Dog Barks Us Farewell (D.Philpot)
On our way down from San Luis we had more sighting lists ready for the students, on the ferry I got some sneaky photos of the students… or tried, and we watched some Reef Cornetfish and a Jellyfish over the side.
Cacts Stopoff Sighting (D.Philpot)
Dangerous Birds! (D.Philpot)
Just before reaching the park we unloaded everyones luggage against this sunset and in small groups we walked students into the reserve:

Unloading (D.Philpot)

At San Miguel I walked in with most of the CSU students, where we were greeted by Harlequin Crabs and a very well swept yard around the main lodge. I was so happy to be back, even though my room was incredibly dusty for some reason - perhaps the snake?  It was just great to see the sea once more, and it was refreshing to join SL the newest TA member on a night hike on the reef - this was amazing we watched a Moray Eel feeding, got a great view of an Octopus and saw some weird coloured fishes.  One of the students (Am) also spotted a very frilly Mexican Dancer which I had not seen before.  Now dark I couldn't help think about my snake friend however there was no snake… yet!