• Day 170: Monday June 18th



13:00 This morning I was impressed by the television ads about being patient and honest to people out in the street in public which makes a nice change from businesses trying to sap money from you. Around 10:00 I left to the L's place to contact the organisation who arranged my flights originally as well as the university I hope to attend to check my return flights are fine and to check if there is anything I need to do before I return to the UK from here regarding my university application.  I came back with little success, DL had wondered if I could move my flights a little but this does not appear possible and so it looks like I will be returning as originally planned August 2nd.
Early Morning Hummingbird (D.Philpot)
One of the L's cows had gave birth to a new calf so that was exciting, and DL made an asparagus soup which was lovely and another first for me. I have just packed my backpack ready to go to the tilapia restaurant for the rest of the evening. I look forward to the traditional football game and meal. Not the dancing…
Waiting For A Lift (D.Philpot)

Meanwhile On A Treetop (D.Philpot)

Resting His Wings (D.Philpot)
21:45 The L's picked me up and when we arrived at the tilapia restaurant it was great to hear all the stories from the students who I last saw 16:30 yesterday. Some of them milked cows and a lot of them had helped out with my previous host father on his coffee farm which is nice of them.

Soon we reviewed their homestay experience, where I sat in with DL's group and we shared our thoughts on all of our experience so far until… some vicious Army Ants interrupted us. Us TA's then set-up the guava throw target board, then soon after the students lined up taking turns to attempt in hitting the bullseye from about 10 metres away - and some of the locals joined in too which made the learning experience more worthwhile. 
Lovely Bunch Of Bees (D.Philpot)

Keeping Track Of The Pink Flowers? (D.Philpot)

Red Face Butterfly (D.Philpot)
Following this we split into two, and then three, football teams and I decided to put 120% into the game so now as I write this I am aching all over, cut and now clean from mud.  Nothing too special to note… everyone was getting sandwiched during the games, especially by this "wall" of a Costa Rican guy who flattened many people.  Playing football in this "Mejenga" (small street game) style was extremely fun, everyone put a lot of effort in - and it was extremely hard for us as noone was used to playing football at altitude, and so everyone really enjoyed lengthy showers in turns afterwards. Here are a couple of clips from the game; Video 1 and Video 2.

Just before and during the showers, people moved over to one of the Tilapia fish ponds and walked a large net across in order to catch our dinner.  I was still on camera duty but got some good photos of the students laughing as they attempted to catch fish, some students getting slapped round the face by fish as they jumped up.  A couple of videos can be found here and here.

Now fresh out of the shower everyone attending the large dinner dressed up very smartly and we then danced a little afterwards… or… the girls did whilst most of the guys ducked out.  A couple of the girls did try teach me some swing dancing (Da) and Merengi (Ar), which I have now forgot, and I also danced with my "sister" (Am) before we called it a night and returned home.
Tilapia Feast For Tonight (D.Philpot)
Also Enjoying A Feast (D.Philpot)

Yellow Bird Seeks Yellow Bananas (D.Philpot)

A Sparrow Joins Too (D.Philpot)

Threes A Crowd (D.Philpot)