• Day 167: Friday June 15th



19:30 Another snake makes the first entry for today. I stepped right by it on the road and it rapidly went off into the undergrowth, although I am sure it was different to the dead one I found yesterday and never had time to get a photo of this one - no broom to hand!!!
Host Family Cat Sees Me Off (D.Philpot)
My destination was the traditional Trapiche (sugar mill) though I bumped into students along the way so I stopped with them and saw some new butterflies between speaking to the students about their first night in San Luis.

*I just got interrupted from writing in my journal by the two boys asking to play some Burnout 3 on the Playstation*
Host Brother & Sister (D.Philpot)
At the Trapiche we had a brilliant bird lecture from ML, this was a first for me to hear so I made sure to take lots of copious notes.  At lunch I discovered my host mum had made me a bacon, lettuce and tomato (BLT) sandwich! and some people were quite envious as we compared lunches from our host families.
Pink But Deadly (D.Philpot)

Gorgeous Artisanal Stuffed Toy Tree (D.Philpot)

Trapiche Butterfly (D.Philpot)

Tubby Green Bug (D.Philpot)

Plant-O-Rama Flower (D.Philpot)
Not too long after DL arrived and we did a full-scale plant-o-rama, sorting out samples of plants into their families without use of guides.  The group actually made it close to the end of the day before getting tired after a full day of talks and activities, at altitude.

Before everyone headed home a little girl took the flower of a nearby plant to fashion herself a Toucan bird nose - and then some of the students did the same.  There was a Woodcreeper bird on my way back which other students had stopped for to see it manoeuvre around this tree like an acrobat.  When I arrived home I found my host mum had already prepared a pasta dinner for me and her two boys.

21:15 I then went to the L's place to give DL group shots of the students I had taken so far, a minor secondary task I was previously assigned with as I always have my camera out.  We then all had a laugh over some photoshopped dogs a photographer had play fetch in a swimming pool.  I was soon made aware that it was a sad day in San Luis as one of the older residents had passed away.  Shortly after, I returned home to my host family (my third) where my host mum was already asleep and the boys were playing with the cat - see this video.  I realised it is already only 7 weeks until I leave Costa Rica :-(
Funny Moth Photo On My Bed (D.Philpot)
Long Antennae (D.Philpot)

The Sky Outside (D.Philpot)