• Day 166: Thursday June 14th CSU Program - Monte Verde



21:30 Currently sitting back with my host family which means today was a success.

After a louder and dysfunctional group of students left we had moved all of our luggage and stuff to the 'sala' (lobby) of the hotel however the bus wasn't there yet but it was ok as we had to find another available truck (bus for staff and students, truck for luggage).  When everything seemed ok we gathered the group together and just before we departed I left a postcard for my penpal with the hotel and "fraped" (Facebook 'raped') SL right before we left, changing her status to something mildly embarrassing.

We loaded the bus and truck efficiently with everyones help where all the luggage was labelled 1 to 10 according to the order of dropping points in San Luis. I couldn't fit into the truck as planned so joined the bus instead = which meant no radio walkie talkies!! so I was a little glad about that.

Now on the move I was infatuated by all the students "bright eyes and bushy tails" as we gave them small data collection tasks along with a list of things to spot out the window along the way for prizes. They jumped on the activities and got really excited as I began dishing out prizes (postcards), and this meant I also missed another opportunity to see and get a photo of the iguana crossing!! Some other photos from the journey:
Hotel Butterfly (D.Philpot)

Wasp Covered Fruit (D.Philpot)

Bird Spotting (D.Philpot)

Perched Grackle (D.Philpot)

An Interesting Purple Flower (D.Philpot)
A Host Families Dog (D.Philpot)

Pretty In Pink (D.Philpot)

An Item To Spot - An Ox Skull (D.Philpot)

View Over San Jose (D.Philpot)

Returned Breakfast Guest (D.Philpot)

Membracid Bug (D.Philpot)

Another Bug (D.Philpot)

A Brown Flying Rat (D.Philpot)

Up To Monte Verde (D.Philpot)

Marching Leaf-Cutter Ants (D.Philpot)
Right before we reached a refreshment stop at El Sol restaurant a tire blew and made everyone jump out of their skins, so we had an extended break with a delicious meal with chips.
Me Unloading A Student (D.Philpot)
When we not long later reached the 10 drop zones I hopped out at each one, rummaged for the students luggage n the back of the truck and wished students good luck as they approached the open arms of their host families. Last of all I helped the L's back into their place, waited at my host familys place and then played some Burnout 3 on the PS2 with my younger host brothers.  Now dark, I went to visit Ar's host family with the agreed money to support the family for the troubles of serving as a host family and checked on Am as I caught up with my previous host family's dad nicknamed Macho (making me realise Am was a kind of sister).  On the way back I found a dead snake (a mimic coral snake, not doing well disguising at this elevation), and now… bedtime!!!
Poor Snake On The Roadside (D.Philpot)

Quite A Cool Moth Flew Into My Face In Bed (D.Philpot)