• Day 156: Monday June 4th


19:00 A giant Cockroach interrupted the flow of working around dinner just now, where my host dad William managed to lose it and keep it crawling around on him when trying to let it go outside - The young daughter was running about screaming and that did not help when he tried to get it out of the shower, although funny to watch. I was then given traditional Tamal for dinner which is wrapped in plantain leaves and was very delicious though I fail to describe it beyond that.

One Giant Cockroach (D.Philpot)

A Delicious Traditional Dinner (D.Philpot)
At school today I found my new classroom for this second intensive week of the course, and met my new teacher and American classmate who was here working for the school. Her Spanish was slightly better than mine I have to admit, she had less vocabulary however and so I saw this week was going to be more intensive than before as we learned from each other one-on-one with the assistance of the teacher.  Later on another lady joined us, an older American, and we got to know her too although she seemed to be less serious about improving her Spanish clutching onto the basics and using a lot of English between to fill the gaps.

The afternoon mostly consisted of me failing to come up with good examples when asked for instance to pretend I was going to buy a car here in Costa Rica - My roleplaying ability was not great anyway and as a guy I would ask things like "are the tires good for the roads here in Costa Rica," "are replacement parts easy to get," and other complicated things I didn't know the words for, or would not / rarely need in day-to-day practice.
A Very Green Fly (D.Philpot)
Upon school finishing I told p-man about the luminous green jewel-like fly I had seen this morning and, after WE ate our lunch from the comfort of his host family's living room, we headed to the L's for more CSU course preparation including reviewing quizzes, prizes and making final touches.  P-man told me how he saw an Agouti steal a banana today.

When I left the L's the clouds were down and it was dark meaning the return walk home was rather eerie, and I also managed to top-up my phone and explore the small Pulperia food store.
Evening Mist (D.Philpot)