• Day 152: Thursday May 31st


20:45 A wall of tiredness again hit me this morning but the overall intensiveness of the Spanish course is great opposed to single day which doesn't feel so intense. This thought had crossed my mind as WE passed under the "monkey bridge" (a thick rope leading over the road).

School was again funny, I forgot the word "ice-cream" in Spanish of all things - which is so basic I felt pretty embarrassed though we all laughed it off. Maestra asked me a question about my first trip alone and my feelings but after saying it was this Costa Rican trip she changed it to a trip with friends to make it harder, which meant my school trip to France… for which I had little to say.

When I was young I was very fussy with food, so that trip was boring for quite complicated reasons, and therefore difficult to explain in Spanish so I had to learn many more words. We also played language games on a Smart Board to review our homework on animals.

On our way back WE saw a tree that had fell across the road and knocked down power lines, although the telecoms people (ICE) were already there with a guy holding what can only be described as a chainsaw on a stick.  In 5 or 10mins they had it cleared enough for traffic to path, and I couldn't help feel this would have taken the whole afternoon to sort out back home in the UK - damn health and safety!
Tree Falls Down, Cleared In No Time (D.Philpot)
WE sat at the small shop once much and split one of our host families lunches as she always provides way too much food for one person, and then WE went over the difference between American and English crisps and chips etc. WE spent a good amount of time at the L's reviewing more CSU materials, then learned about how to use two-way radios until we were interrupted by Chacalacas (fairly noisy turkey-like birds), we then shared "mint curd" (instead of lemon curd) - both of which are incredibly delicious freshly and naturally made. DL taught us about mapping techniques, and I learnt after much confusion that scientists used to draw computer quality figures/diagrams (e.g. graphs you might produce in Excel) using stencils for the symbols.

In the evening I chatted with p-man, played with my host families dog Perla, had a bad apple-tasting banana (called a Quadrado, normally AMAZING!), and wrote this quickly before making a start on my homework.