• Day 149: Monday May 28th



21:30 Today I learnt that cartoons do teach you things, if you are wanting to learn another language for one. The evening I had spent with this host family was very pleasant although I had some horrible dreams (another Costa Rican first for me, and one even involved ML somehow but I don't remember much).

The host mum gave me a 5am wakeup call, which I think was my own fault, but it gave me time to ring my grandparents (nans or grandmas) to wish them a happy joint birthday whilst I sat and watched birds flying about the valley.  I saw a couple of species as I spoke with them, and my family were ecstatically happy that I called her, barely recognising or expecting me, and it was received as a lovely gift.  I had to keep trying to reach my other Grandma (who I call Sheepie due to her white hair).

P-man and I met DL at the Pulperia (I promise my abbreviations won't get any more complicated!) for a lift to our first day at "immersion school" and oh my, what a school that stood there.  It felt like I had stepped into a surreal modern mix of a resort and a prison! We had a multiple choice Spanish written test to determine our entry level, which got really quite complicated towards the end, and a very sneaky oral test that was hidden amongst being questioned in order to complete an application form with the schools Director. We were then taken on a short tour where the highlights were a gym, hot showers and a Jacuzzi! to demonstrate how fancy this establishment was in the middle of this valley. The Spanish was however very intense but put across well by a great teacher.  I then received my first school-like homework in about 8 years!!!
Spanish School Sign (D.Philpot)

Surreal Spanish School Entrance (D.Philpot)

Spanish School Gardens (D.Philpot)

Spanish School Mansion In Middle Of Nowhere (D.Philpot)
The afternoon was spent with DL doing some CSU course preparation, then I went back to my host family, had dinner, visited the neighbour (who gave us doughnuts), found a glow-worm that absorbed and reemitted the light off a mobile phone (cell phone), did my homework, practised a little with the family and now I am going to pass out ready for the "school bus" at 7am :)