• Day 147: Saturday May 26th



Time: 03:30, Mission: to get to Monte Verde on a Saturday! Luckily I didn’t have to disappear on park guards hard at work this time but it was really quite different leaving the park so early in the dark. On the road to Malpais I saw only two guys walking, two people on bikes, two on motorcycles and two on quad bikes but no ladies or cars until I got to Santa Teresa - obviously normally there is a car everything 30 seconds and this is about a 45min walk from the park entrance (limit to inquisitive tourists). I then took a very rickety vibrating little bus instead of a coach to the small town of Cobano, and then I caught the normal coach to the ferry at Puntarenas allowing me to kill 3/4 hours of the book DL has leant me.

I was then forced to put my backpack below in the coach to Monte Verde, which I didn’t feel comfortable with and was never compulsory before, and take this same hole ridden, terribly old bus that poured with thick black smoke all the way to Monte Verde.  This journey took an extended 5 hours, taking the scenic route around the edge of the whole valley to an area I have never been instead of nipping up the opposite site as normal - so I could see the San Luis valley most of the time.  Here are photos that summarise the bus journey:
Bus Escape Hatch (D.Philpot)

Monte Verde And Dinosaur (D.Philpot)

Pizza Hut T-Rex (D.Philpot)

T-Rex In Costa Rica (D.Philpot)

Spectacular View Of San Luis (D.Philpot)
And I saw this cute puppy by the local Pulperia store - Video.

Once I arrived at the L's I eventually got to meet this cool guy from Minnesota (a previous student of the L's who has returned as an assistant for the summer program - I guess it will be easiest to refer to him as p-man).  We got to know each other while we tucked into some delicious sour dough bread, and ML expressed his dislike of bingo and preference for rum! Both of us assistants stayed with the same host family, and before I went to bed I had a bit of a fright with my camera.

My host family room can be seen here in this video.