• Day 145: Thursday May 24th Staff Vacation End



21:30 At this moment in time I am knackered, the early 4:30 start without breakfast has ruined me. Though after I had left my sleeping host family behind I got to see Monte Verde in a different light with lightening flashes lighting up the valley which was a spectacular sight - it was very pretty, but also quiet. I sat outside the Pulperia until I heard ML start the old car in the distance (picture your Indiana Jones/old rusty army vehicle going through a desert) which added to the surreal silence around me.

In Santa Elena we (cooks and I) boarded the coach and made our way back to Puntarenas in a cloud of smoke - the bus did not sound too healthy, making the bossy small cook laugh loudly at least.  I was holding a sack full of my gifts and letters from home.

I almost fell asleep on the bus, nothing was happening, however seeing a couple of Motmots out the window perked me up once or twice. I spent most the journey reflecting on the holiday break away from the park and as to the adventures that lay ahead.

In Puntarenas we went to a tool shop where I watched over the young son, then a crazy man with a naked Barbie doll came by… before gladly removing himself from the area. On the ferry the ladies seemed happy with my Spanish and the young son was flabbergasted by my Tony Hawk videogame skills! We sailed into the mist (literally had a wall of impenetrable mist in front of us which enveloped the ferry) and the encroaching monsoon was the most interesting part of the day, a wall of grey.
Wall Of Rain - Left (D.Philpot)

Surrounded By Gray On All Sides (D.Philpot)
A couple more bus changes for me after I said goodbye to the cooks then I popped into an internet café, a Blue Morpho Butterfly flew right by my face and I spoke to my mum.  During the evening I had dinner, took a shower, did some laundry, sorted out my letters and gifts, had a shave and then slept!