• Day 186: Wednesday July 4th


23:15 Currently it is raining lightly and the power keeps tripping on and off, which is really quite irritating for everyone - students, cooks and staff. Just before this started we were enjoying a bonfire for independence day where we shared marshmallows, and the cooks brought out a chocolate cake with sparklers whilst people were telling some "true" American ghost stories… (I do not believe a good one exists…). I did get some good photos until jumping past the fire to avoid some floating cinders and then fell attempting to save my camera, but didn’t anyway. So sadly it has been written off as the second camera of mine to be ruined.


After the fire a large Crayfish was found in the stream off of the path to the dorm house, I tried to hold it for a photo and failed as he was quite big and unexpectedly powerful despite his previous slowness.  I had to leave him until I walked to the lab and back to grab DL's new waterproof cameras, which made me realise I definitely need a camera for the diving or snorkelling in the Caribbean.

During the day I went for the quick optional snorkel session, then I arranged, washed, dried and stored all the fins/masks (49 sets) by size class into labelled tubs. The cooks tried throwing Frisbees at me, I retaliated of course - they love to muck around behind a more serious front, then Caballo made dough into funny shapes whilst I took a pinch of flour before telling her "I want to tell you a secret." Once I got her she tried the same so I grabbed a spare small bag of talcum powder and dumped that on her. She then got me with a handful of flour and me back at her with another. She showered and I threw some cold water through the small window (think wooden mesh, no glass), and vice versa when I took one though a shower curtain shielded me on their attempt. They giggled and we called a truce shaking hands soon after.

I was laying in a hammock where I came up with a few challenges; firstly "sloth-ing" under the hammock moving from laying to below without touching the floor and then getting back in, and then secondly moving from laying to being sat in the two connected trees (and back, which is easier) - again without touching the floor.  A couple of students witnessed me doing it, and a couple later got involved in the little fun challenge.

I spent the rest of the evening collecting firewood (driftwood) with the students, then tidied the whole lab, packed and did some laundry where I spotted a mouse sat on the floor staring - I think it fell on its head as even though it appeared normal I knew something was up. 



ML had also told me a funny story before bed, but I did not write anything in my journal so it is probably not a story to mention.